Saturday, December 9, 2006

Artist Statement

Emil A. Sauer

After hundreds or thousands of drawings of both man-made and natural objects, including the human figure, I take plaster, steel, clay, or wax and create sculptures that are directly related to the drawings. They could be steel sculptures that represent the shapes and images of industry. They could be modern abstract plaster sculptures that resemble organic forms from nature and the human figure. Or realistic representational forms and images. I’ve also worked with materials I’ve recycled from industry, in the true sense of the word recycling – a continuous flow of materials through an industry or system. Sometimes I do a series of drawings that themselves represent a statement. I completed thirty-one life-size drawings of people’s hands, and I am presently working on a series of fifty life-size pastels of ice skaters. I am inspired by the human figure, by people’s expressions, their daily activities, as well as the elite recreational practices of special sports and dance activities. I draw people in public as well as in special settings. I normally create sculptures in series. The series represents an idea, yet each piece stands on its own. I love the tension and excitement that I experience when working with metal, plaster, and wax. The ability to create something three-dimensional in space allows me freedom of expression in the celebration of my senses of touch and sight.

No comments: